Saturday, February 12, 2011

so here's this little vest

Portion this week:  Exodus 27:20 thru 30:10

One summer my sister visited from California and helped me assemble a work wardrobe for the upcoming school year.  It was the year of the vest!  We laugh now but at the time it seemed I had such a thing for different styles of vests - there was no limit to the possible combinations.

There's a vest in the Torah portion this week:  it's decorated with 12 stones and is to be worn by the priest who goes in to the tent of meeting.

Each stone represents one of the tribes: 

Ruby

Topaz

Beryl

Turquoise

Sapphire

Emerald

Jacinth

Agate

Amethyst

Chrysolite

Onyx

Jasper

This week I met some beautiful women who live at the Ebenezer Home here in Haifa. They moved from England, Norway, and California to Israel many years ago
and now they are old. 

Yesterday I had coffee with my Australian friend, and Thursday, lunch with two writer friends.  Mid-week, an American who moved here from Russia took me on a walk across the city.   We are diverse women and our paths have crossed here Northern Israel.

If I made a patchwork vest of my new friends here, the colors would be lovely!  I am grateful for the beautiful combinations.

Shabbat Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment